Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Don't wait for Ellen

Sadness is pretty much everywhere if you look for it, and even when you aren't looking it creeps up.  We had two pets die in past week.  Peeps was our favorite hen and she passed away on Friday and then last night we lost a goldfish.   I am sure that each of you have sadness in your life as well, and I'm not suggesting that we cover it up or try to pretend it's not there.  It's important to acknowledge it, let it have it's time but we can't stay there in it for too long. After it's had it's moment we need some cheer.  

I used to watch Ellen all the time, that woman is amazing at bringing on the cheer.  She surprises people with love and gifts and really makes life a party.  I'm not really a watcher of Oprah but I know she does the same type of thing.  Changing lives by simple acts of bringing cheer to people when they least expect it.  When they are deep in the sadness.   When I was pregnant with my son I had a severe case of morning sickness (I wish I would have known then about catnip tea.)  I watched a lot of TV, and a whole lot of Ellen.  My daughter, two and half at the time watched it with me. She would  set up her little chairs in our living room with stuffed animals and pretend to interview them.  The day LL Cool J was on she pretended to interview LLMNOP.  So cute!  She also pretended to be Michael from the office running a staff meeting.   Michael is a spreader of cheer as well! Awkward cheer, but still it is cheer.

So, what should we do when faced with a world of confusing sadness?  When things happen in our lives that we don't understand, or maybe they happen to our friends, or to people we hear about on the other side of the country or the world?  I say, we step up and be Ellen, Oprah, or even Michael Scott if you're a bit awkward.  All it takes is a need and an idea and you have got yourself a potential cheer explosion.

Now this next part I want to be clear is not a brag, it's more of an example of just how easy it can be to spread some cheer.  There is a beautiful family that goes to my church.  The mama of this family is in my bible study and let me tell you they are wonderful.
Not long ago they had been planning their first ever family vacation to Disneyland.  Then my friend discovered that there was new technology and a new therapy in Utah that could possibly allow communication with her son.  Now, Disneyland is special but obviously this was a lot bigger than Disney. The family decided to take the savings and instead use it on the therapy.  
Of course there is joy in a new tool for their son, but I know there was also sadness in having to cancel that trip.

We can't get rid of  all the sadness or stop every situation from happening, but this one seemed like maybe something could be done.   As I heard my friends story I felt led to do something, another friend of mine felt the same way.  She emailed Ellen and encouraged others to do so too.  I emailed Monkee See Monkee Do over at Momastery.  It didn't stop there though, because I know that Ellen and MSMD both have hands and inboxs that are no doubt overflowing.  This seemed like something that we could do.  The truth is that people are full of love, and people love spreading cheer.  Lots of them are just waiting for an invitation.  That is really all it took to turn a cancelled vacation into one that is happening later this month.
A couple announcements at church about the family and the fundraiser idea, a few emails, and a lot of love.
I'm happy to say that not only did my friend and I make this happen, it was actually easy to do.  Meaning, you can make things happen.  Anyone can make things happen and very simply change someones life and spread some cheer .  Everybody can be Ellen!  or Oprah! or Glennon or Choose Your Fav Philanthropist.
You don't have to be a super influential millionaire.  You just have to have an idea and the guts to put it into action.    I want to add that after we finished our fundraiser MSMD contacted me and they were so happy about what we did that they decided to chip in a Visa gift card as a bonus for their journey.   Wow!

I heard a story on NPR yesterday that actually lead me to write this blog post.  A regular woman in South Dakota was inspired by Oprah and thought she could probably do something to help too.  Through her one idea they now have a program for veterans where they can take a vacation with their family to a beautiful cabin in Black Hills, S.D. for free. When the guests arrive they don't have to spend a dime other than transportation costs. They are given coupons for free activities in the town.  The land was donated by the city, the leather furniture was donated by a couple who heard about the program and called her up, the blinds were donated by a family who lost their son in the war.  People came out of the woodwork and stepped up to help and add to her vision.  She just had to speak up, say "I have an idea..."   It can be scary to speak up, but it can do so much good.   You can listen to the story here, it's awesome.

I once heard the wise advice that if you are going to start a revolution you need one enthusiastic person and one very organized person.  If you have two enthusiastic people they will get really excited but never get anything done.  If you have two organized people they will have everything well planned but never pull the trigger on bringing it to action.   One of each and you get things going, organize them well, and set them into motion.  If you don't have a partner please don't let that stop you.  I think you can still do it and maybe a partner will step up along the way.  My friend who worked on the vacation surprise with me  was very organized.  I have maybe 1% of organizational skills in me.  I needed a partner and I'm thankful she was there.

So, what do you think...ready to spread some cheer?  It doesn't have to be a huge vacation, maybe you just want to hand somebody a candy bar when they are having a bad day.   Don't think about it too hard, most likely the idea will come to you.  It's up to you to listen and go with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment